Wednesday, November 16, 2011

YouTube is teaching me to crochet. I love how unstructured it is, much more so then knitting. Knitting is too grid-like. Ugh.. post-minimalism. Crocheting speaks to my aesthetic taste much more. I started a new piece yesterday. I'm working with two large spools of white cotton yarn. I can never find the right pallet with the yarn in the craft stores, so I'm taking matters into my own hands. I started dying yesterday, and I'm really loving the 70's inspired pallet that is coming out of it. From lemon yellow, scarlet red, royal blue, black and taupe dye, I'm developing a more interrelated pallet to work with. So plan is to use the two bolts of yarn in full, while just freestyle crocheting. I'm not sure how I'll display it yet. Usually I start with the support but then the piece is reliant on this structure that is some what unspecific to the piece itself. It limits the creativity of the piece. I think the structure may end up being something related a house-hold object as well as an art object, since the piece itself will be similar to a afghan.


Marc introduced me to this artist yesterday, Nick Cave. I could see my work going in a similar direction in the future, being sort of wearable or a costume piece. His pieces are called sound suits. He has a background in fine arts, specifically textiles, and modern dance, so the work is mostly performative. I wish he elaborated more on the materials he used.

No comments:

Post a Comment