Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Weeks in

I had a good critique with Marc yesterday. I have been wrestling with the idea of painting each of the random assemblage pieces I've been working on, so we talked about the opportunities and options in that. He thought that the painting of the paper and cheese cloth piece was successful, because it made the viewer reconsider the function of each piece and the relationship between them. I'm still considering the different ways to display the two together to bring futher questions to their relationship. The pin-stripe suit fabric that I chose to stretch it with is its key success. It relates the two with a material interest but in a peculiar way, and by doing so, breaks down the simplicity of the realistic rendering.
We discussed the importance of the act of painting in understanding the assembled pieces. His thoughts were that photography might be a means to see the work differently as well. I think the layer of separation that might bring could be interesting. Using photos to see the work formally, to crop, or alter in some way, and then to paint from the photo rather then the prop. That, I think, will help my issues with the pair being redundant or quick.
More crits this week. I'm excited to get feedback from peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment